Presentations and Publications
About Golden Rice
Like rice terraces, progress relies on stepwise construction based on hard work, research, and publications to share results and build upon.
- Prof. Ingo Potrykus, Golden Rice Board and Network: Is Golden Rice a GMO which will rescue the eyesight and lives of many children? Schools lecture delivered at the AAB conference Agriculture: Africa's "engine for growth" – Plant Science & biotechnology hold the key. Rothamsted Research, Harpenden UK, 12-14 October 2009
- Dubock A (2009) Crop conundrumNutrition Review 67(1):17-20 [Invited Editorial]
- Miller, HI (2009) A golden opportunity, squandered . TIBTEC.
Even when used to make products of negligible risk and that contribute significantly to public health, recombinant DNA technology applied to agriculture has a tough row to hoe. 'Golden Rice', which has been enriched by the addition of genes that allow rice to synthesize beta-carotene (the precursor of vitamin A) in its edible endosperm, has endured resistance from activists and a decade of imposing and gratuitous obstacles to regulatory approval. This is an ominous precedent for other 'biofortified; foods made with recombinant DNA technology.
- Mayer JE, Pfeiffer W, Beyer P (2008) Biofortified crops to alleviate micronutrient malnutrition. Curr Opin Plant Biol 11:166-170.
- Editorial by Prof Ingo Potrykus in the Electronic Journal of Biotechnology: »GMO Technology and Malnutrition Public Sector Responsibility and Failure« EJB 15 December 2005 vol 8 issue 3.
- Presentation by Prof Ingo Potrykus at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, March 2005 «Golden Rice, vitamin A and blindness Public responsibility and failure»
- Presentation by Prof Ingo Potrykus at BioVision, Lyon, April 2005 «Is GMO over-regulation costing lives? »
- Presentation by Dr Jorge Mayer at the FDA Science Forum, Washington DC, 27-28 April 2005 «Development and Impact of Golden Rice»
- Presentation by Dr Adrian Dubock at the ICABR Conference in Ravello, Italy, July 2005. «Golden Rice the Partitioning of Influence» and the corresponding slides to the presentation.
- The Story of Golden Rice Lecture: On World Food Day 2004, a year designated by the United Nations as the Year of Rice, the Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture invited the two inventors of Golden Rice, Ingo Potrykus and Peter Beyer, to give a lecture about their discovery and the future of Golden Rice. At the same time, Adrian Dubock of Syngenta spoke about the involvement of his company with the Golden Rice Project. You can watch the lecture, which was held in Basle, Switzerland online or order a DVD following the link to the Syngenta Foundation website.
- Breeding History, by Tom Hargrove and W Ronnie Coffman. The remarkable history of IR8, the rice variety that changed the face of agriculture across Asia 40 years ago.
- Find an extensive compilation of literature on Golden Rice and Provitamin A " by Prof Klaus Ammann (Director of the Botanical Garden of Berne, Switzerland) as a downloadable pdf file.
Some Relevant Publications
- Al-Babili S, Beyer P (2005) Golden Rice Five years on the road five years to go? Trends in Plant Science 10:565-573.
- Al-Babili S, Hugueney P, Schledz M, Welsch R, Frohnmeyer H, Laule O, Beyer P (2000) Identification of a novel gene coding for neoxanthin synthase from Solanum tuberosum. FEBS Lett 485:168-172.
- Al-Babili S, von Lintig J, Haubruck H, Beyer P (1996) A novel, soluble form of phytoene desaturase from Narcissus pseudonarcissus chromoplasts is Hsp70-complexed and competent for flavinylation, membrane association and enzymatic activation. Plant J 9:601-612.
- Al-Babili S, Ye X, Lucca P, Potrykus I, Beyer P (2001) Biosynthesis of beta-carotene (provitamin A) in rice endosperm achieved by genetic engineering. Novartis Found Symp 236:219-228; discussion 228-232.
- Bartley G, Kumle A, Beyer P, Scolnik P (1993) Functional analysis and purification of enzymes for carotenoid biosynthesis expressed in photosynthetic bacteria. Methods Enzymol 214:374-385
- Bartley GE, Scolnik PA, Beyer P (1999) Two Arabidopsis thaliana carotene desaturases, phytoene desaturase and zeta-carotene desaturase, expressed in Escherichia coli, catalyze a poly-cis pathway to yield pro-lycopene. Eur J Biochem 259:396-403.
- Belingheri L, Beyer P, Kleinig H, Gleizes M (1991) Solubilization and partial purification of squalene synthase from daffodil microsomal membranes. FEBS Lett 292:34-36.
- Beyer P, Al-Babili S, Ye X, Lucca P, Schaub P, Welsch R, Potrykus I (2002) Golden Rice: Introducing the beta-carotene biosynthesis pathway into rice endosperm by genetic engineering to defeat vitamin A deficiency. J Nutr 132:506S-510.
- Beyer P, Kroncke U, Nievelstein V (1991) On the mechanism of the lycopene isomerase/cyclase reaction in Narcissus pseudonarcissus L. chromoplasts. J Biol Chem 266:17072-17078.
- Beyer P, Mayer M, Kleinig H (1989) Molecular oxygen and the state of geometric isomerism of intermediates are essential in the carotene desaturation and cyclization reactions in daffodil chromoplasts. Eur J Biochem 184:141-150.
- Bonk M, Hoffmann B, von Lintig J, Schledz M, Al-Babili S, Hobeika E, Kleinig H, Beyer P (1997) Chloroplast import of four carotenoid biosynthetic enzymes in vitro reveals differential fates prior to membrane binding and oligomeric assembly. Eur J Biochem 247:942-950.
- Bonk M, Tadros M, Vandekerckhove J, Al-Babili S, Beyer P (1996) Purification and characterization of chaperonin 60 and heat-shock protein 70 from chromoplasts of Narcissus pseudonarcissus (Involvement of heat-shock protein 70 in a soluble protein complex containing phytoene desaturase). Plant Physiology 111:931-939.
- Burkhardt P, Beyer P, Wunn J, Klöti A, Armstrong G, Schledz M, von Lintig J, Potrykus I (1997) Transgenic rice (Oryza sativa)endosperm expressing daffodil (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) phytoene synthase accumulates phytoene, a key intermediate of provitamin A biosynthesis. Plant J 11:1071-1078.
- Diretto G, Tavazza R, Welsch R, Pizzichini D, Mourgues F, Papacchili V, Beyer P, Giuliano G (2006) Metabolic engineering of potato tuber carotenoids through tuber-specific silencing of lycopene epsilon cyclase. BMC Plant Biology 6:13.
- Hoa TTC, Al-Babili S, Schaub P, Potrykus I, Beyer P (2003) Golden indica and japonica rice lines amenable to deregulation. Plant Physiology 133:161-169.
- Hundle B, Beyer P, Kleinig H, Englert G, Hearst J (1991) Carotenoids of Erwinia herbicola and an Escherichia coli HB101 strain carrying the Erwinia herbicola carotenoid gene cluster. Photochem Photobiol 54:89-93.
- Hundle B, O'Brien D, Alberti M, Beyer P, Hearst J (1992) Functional expression of zeaxanthin glucosyltransferase from Erwinia herbicola and a proposed uridine diphosphate binding site. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:9321-9325.
- Hundle B, O'Brien D, Beyer P, Kleinig H, Hearst J (1993) In vitro expression and activity of lycopene cyclase and beta-carotene hydroxylase from Erwinia herbicola. FEBS Lett 315:329-334.
- Lucca P, Hurrell R, Potrykus I (2001) Genetic engineering approaches to improve the bioavailability and the level of iron in rice grains. Theor Appl Genet 102:392-397.
- Mayer JE (2005) The Golden Rice Controversy: Useless Science or Unfounded Criticism. BioScience 55:646-647.
- Mayer M, Beyer P, Kleinig H (1990) Quinone compounds are able to replace molecular oxygen as terminal electron acceptor in phytoene desaturation in chromoplasts of Narcissus pseudonarcissus L. Eur J Biochem 191:359-363.
- Mayer JE, Pfeiffer WH, Beyer P (2008) Biofortified crops to alleviate micronutrient malnutrition. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11:166-170.
- Nievelstein V, Vandekerchove J, Tadros M, von Lintig J, Nitschke W, Beyer P (1995) Carotene desaturation is linked to a respiratory redox pathway in Narcissus pseudonarcissus chromoplast membranes. Involvement of a 23-KDa oxygen-evolving-complex-like protein. Eur J Biochem 233:864-872.
- Paine JA, Shipton CA, Chaggar S, Howells RM, Kennedy MJ, Vernon G, Wright SY, Hinchliffe E, Adams JL, Silverstone AL, Drake R (2005) A new version of Golden Rice with increased pro-vitamin A content. Nature Biotechnology 23:482-487.
- Potrykus I (2001) Golden Rice and beyond. Plant Physiology 125:1157-1161.
- Rabbani S, Beyer P, von Lintig J, Hugueney P, Kleinig H (1998) Induced beta-carotene synthesis driven by triacylglycerol deposition in the unicellular alga Dunaliella bardawil. Plant Physiology 116:1239-1248.
- Schaub P, Al-Babili S, Beyer P (2005) Why is Golden Rice golden (yellow) and not red. Plant Physiology 138:441-450. .
- Schledz M, al-Babili S, von Lintig J, Haubruck H, Rabbani S, Kleinig H, Beyer P (1996) Phytoene synthase from Narcissus pseudonarcissus: functional expression, galactolipid requirement, topological distribution in chromoplasts and induction during flowering. Plant J 10:781-92
- Schledz M, Seidler A, Beyer P, Neuhaus G (2001) A novel phytyltransferase from Synechocystis sp PCC 6803 involved in tocopherol biosynthesis. FEBS Lett 499:15-20.
- Schreier PH, Seftor EA, Schell J, Bohnert HJ (1985) The use of nuclear-encoded sequences to direct the light-regulated synthesis and transport of a foreign protein into plant chloroplasts EMBO J 4:25-32.
- Welsch R, Beyer P, Hugueney P, Kleinig H, von Lintig J (2000) Regulation and activation of phytoene synthase, a key enzyme in carotenoid biosynthesis, during photomorphogenesis. Planta 211:846-854.
- Welsch R, Medina J, Giuliano G, Beyer P, von Lintig J (2003) Structural and functional characterization of the phytoene synthase promoter from Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 216:523-534.
- Ye X, Al-Babili S, Klöti A, Zhang J, Lucca P, Beyer P, Potrykus I (2000) Engineering the provitamin A (beta-carotene) biosynthetic pathway into (carotenoid-free) rice endosperm. Science 287:303-305.